Event Date: Friday, February 15, 2019
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Event Location: Washington Street
The UP200, an Iditarod qualifying race, is one of America’s premier twelve-dog, mid-distance sled dog races and draws mushers from around the United States and Canada. Coinciding with the UP200 is the eight-dog Midnight Run, a race from Marquette to Chatham and returning to Marquette. The Midnight Run, or MNR, draws premier teams wanting to test their skill on a technically challenging trail.
Celebrate the start of both races in Downtown Marquette, beginning with the Opening Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. in front of The Mining Journal on the 200 block of West Washington Street. Join Walt Lindala and Frida Waara in welcoming sponsors, representatives and spectators to the race, while the Marquette Male Chorus gives a special performance. UP200 teams will hit the trail at 7 p.m., followed by Midnight Run teams at 8 p.m. The race route is set on Washington Street, heading east along Lakeshore Boulevard.
Warm Up Downtown
In addition to all of the restaurants and businesses in Marquette’s Downtown District that will be gearing up for the UP200 spectators, several businesses and organizations in Marquette’s Downtown District will be hosting warm up parties between and during the dog sled races, all of which are open to the public.
- Marquette DDA at the Marquette Commons, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Warm up by the fire and enjoy the soothing sounds of Jim and Ray. Complimentary restrooms.
- 112 S. Third St., Marquette, MI 49855
- DIGS Gastropub, 3:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- UP 200 Race Kickoff Extravaganza! We will have a Beards Brewery Tap Takeover & Fundraisers for UPAWS! Bring you pet and get a limited edition bandana for them plus lots of other giveaways! We will have hot chocolate outside and live music inside. Full menu served until 10:00 p.m., party until :00 a.m. with Double Trouble DJS from 10:00 pm. to 2:00 a.m. No reservations and no tickets necessary.
- 154 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Flanigan’s, 5 p.m. to close
- Come on in and warm up during and after the races! Enjoy drinks specials all night.
- 429 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- The Gallery, 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Warm-Up at The Gallery inside of the Masonic Square Mall. View the juried art show Man’s Best Friend, celebrating the UP200 & Midnight Run. Free and open to the public.
- 130 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Harley’s Restaurant at Ramada Inn, 4 p.m. to midnight
- “A Long Road to Alaska” Warm Up Party Featuring Long Road Distillery and Alaskan Brewing Co. food and drink pairings inside. Can’t miss the race? Take a pasty to go! Live Music with Gerry Brown 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- 412 W. Washington St, Marquette, MI 49855
- Iron Bay Restaurant, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- UP200 Patio Party! Enjoy watching the race from our heated patio while savoring one of our hot drink specials: Glühwein and spiked hot chocolate! The patio will be open to the public to watch the first corner of the race!
- 105 E. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Lake Superior Photo Gallery/Studio, 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Come in and warm up at the gallery on Front Street before the UP 200 start with a first look viewing party of our new ultra high definition film on the aurora borealis! Complimentary light refreshments and warm beverages will be served.
- 211 South Front St. Marquette, MI 49855 , next to Zephyr
- The Nature Conservancy, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Join The Nature Conservancy at their open house for cocoa and cookies during the dog sled races. More information here
- 101 S. Front St., Suite 105, Marquette, MI 49855
- Ore Dock Brewing Company, 9:00 p.m.
- Fauxgrass (Hot licks from Grand Rapids) and guests performing Live, starting at 7:00 p.m. Free Admission, 21+ after 9:00 p.m.
- 114 W. Spring St., Marquette, MI 49855
- The Preserve, 11 a.m. to 2:30 a.m.
- Warm up with some hot grilled cheese sandwiches, coffee, and a wide selection of craft beers to go from around the country
- 351 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Richardson Jewelers, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Richardson Jewelers will stay open late to accommodate those cheering on the mushers and dogs during the UP200 and Midnight Run. We will have on hand plenty of hot chocolate and some snacks available for visitors
- 153 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Come in and get ready for the big start of the U.P. 200. There will be a slice of pizza and a cookie for $1, plus hot chocolate and plenty of sled dog-themed activities. Free with admission or membership. More information here
- 123 W. Baraga Ave, Marquette, MI 49855
- Upper Peninsula Supply Co., 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- U.P. Supply Co. will be featuring the delightful and tasty cookies from Little B’s Batches along with coffee, hot cocoa, and a warming space to meet other kind Upper Peninsula lovin’ folks. No tickets or reservations needed, bring yourself and we’ll provide the hygge.
- 221 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
- Yoop-Phoria, 12:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Come celebrate the UP200 and Midnight Run sled races with Yoop-Phoria. They are warming up these awesome dog days of winter with $4 crepes. Add a coffee or hot chocolate for just $1.50 more. More information here
- 156 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855