Event Date: Friday, February 14, 2020
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Event Location: Washington Street
The UP200, an Iditarod qualifying race, is one of America’s premier twelve-dog, mid-distance sled dog races and draws mushers from around the United States and Canada. Coinciding with the UP200 is the eight-dog Midnight Run, a race from Marquette to Chatham and returning to Marquette. The Midnight Run, or MNR, draws premier teams wanting to test their skill on a technically challenging trail.
Celebrate the start of both races in Downtown Marquette, beginning with the Opening Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. in front of The Mining Journal on the 200 block of West Washington Street. Join Walt Lindala and Frida Waara in welcoming sponsors, representatives and spectators to the race, while the Marquette Male Chorus gives a special performance. UP200 teams will hit the trail at 7 p.m., followed by Midnight Run teams at 8 p.m. The race route is set on Washington Street, heading east along Lakeshore Boulevard.
Please keep in mind that companion/pet dogs are not allowed at this event downtown. They can distract the racing dogs and at times the temperatures are not conducive to having a pet outside. Some businesses may not allow pets, as health department restrictions may apply.
Warm Up Downtown
In addition to all of the restaurants and businesses in Downtown Marquette that will be gearing up for the UP200 spectators, several businesses and organizations in Downtown Marquette will be hosting warm up parties between and during the dog sled races, all of which are open to the public.
BabyCakes Muffin Company, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Featuring Chili & Hot chocolate with “fixings” bar for both!
- Drink special
- Free coffee for volunteers and mushers
- 223 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Cafe Bodega, 3:00 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Happy Hour 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday Fish Fry
- 517 N. Third St., Marquette, MI 49855
Eagle Mine Information Center, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Hot cocoa, treats, and COWBELLS!
- 153A W. Washington St. Marquette, MI 49855
Flanigan’s Bar, 6:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Drink specials
- Free popcorn
- Karaoke at 9:30 p.m.
- 429 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Delft Bistro, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Live feed of the races from the marquee on their big-screen
- Live music
- Drinks under the Marquee for close-up viewing
- 139 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Donckers, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- From-scratch hot cocoa
- Mac and Cheese bar
- Soups, grilled cheese, and sweets to keep you warm
- 137 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
First Presbyterian Church of MQT, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Warm up with cookies, hot cocoa and coffee
- Free Family-friendly opportunity with Youth Mission Group
- Donations will be accepted to help fund Youth Mission Team headed to Puerto Rico this summer
- 120 N. Front St., Marquette, MI 49855
Harley’s Restaurant at Ramada Inn, 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Fish Fry and Valentines Dinner for two. Hours: 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Tap Take Over By Big Lake Brewery
- Live Music from 8 p.m. -11 p.m. with Gerry Brown
- 412 W. Washington St, Marquette, MI 49855
HOTPlate Pottery, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Live music by Strung Together from 6-8
- Birthday cake to celebrate our 2nd birthday (while supplies last)
- Make-and-take dog-themed fluid art – $10
- 153 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Iron Bay Restaurant, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Warm up party
- Hot dogs/brats
- 105 E. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Marquette DDA at the Marquette Commons, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Public restrooms
- 112 S. Third St., Marquette, MI 49855
Michigan Fair, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Serving Hot Apple Cider and Cookies
- Specials and sales throughout the evening
- 114 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
The Nature Conservancy, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Join The Nature Conservancy at their open house for cocoa and cookies during the dog sled races. More information here
- 101 S. Front St., Suite 105, Marquette, MI 49855
Revival, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Galentine’s Warm Up Party!
- Warm up with Revival! Vinyl records spinning, refreshments, and in-store sales all week.
- 104 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855
Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum, 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Warm up before the UP200 with hot cocoa and chocolate chip cookies.
- Fun sled dog themed activities and crafts
- Event is included with $6 admission, free to members
- 123 W. Baraga Ave, Marquette, MI 49855
Upper Peninsula Supply Co., 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Special goods in store
- 221 W. Washington St.
Yoop-Phoria, 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Hot chocolate and coffee $1.00
- Bogo 1/2 off cups
- crepes $5.00
- 156 W. Washington St., Marquette, MI 49855