Event Date: Friday, February 17, 2017
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Event Location: Washington Street
The UP200, an Iditarod qualifying race, is one of America’s premier 12-dog, mid-distance sled dog races and draws mushers from around the United States and Canada. Coinciding with the UP200 is the eight-dog Midnight Run, a race from Marquette to Chatham and returning to Marquette. The Midnight Run, or MNR, draws premier teams wanting to test their skill on a technically challenging trail.
Celebrate the start of both races in Downtown Marquette, beginning with the Opening Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. in front of The Mining Journal on the 200 block of West Washington Street. Join Walt Lindala and Frida Waara in welcoming sponsors, representatives and spectators to the race, while the Marquette Male Chorus gives a special performance. UP200 teams will hit the trail at 7 p.m., followed by Midnight Run teams at 8 p.m. The race route is set on Washington Street, heading east along Lakeshore Boulevard.
Warm Up Downtown
In addition to all of the restaurants and businesses in Marquette’s Downtown District that will be gearing up for the UP200 spectators, several businesses and organizations in Marquette’s Downtown District will be hosting warm up parties between and during the dog sled races, all of which are open to the public.
- Marquette DDA at the Marquette Commons, 112 S. Third St., 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Eagle Mine Information Center, W. 153A Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Gophers Bakery, 325 W. Washington St., 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Marquette Yoga Center, 130 W. Washington St., 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m
- Masonic Building (Upstairs), 128. W. Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Michigan Fair, 114 W. Washington St, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- NMU Alumni Warm Up Tent, TBD
- Ore Dock Brewing Company, 114 W. Spring St, 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum, 123 W. Baraga Ave, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.