Event Date: Friday, February 16, 2018
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Event Location: Washington Street
The UP200, an Iditarod qualifying race, is one of America’s premier twelve-dog, mid-distance sled dog races and draws mushers from around the United States and Canada. Coinciding with the UP200 is the eight-dog Midnight Run, a race from Marquette to Chatham and returning to Marquette. The Midnight Run, or MNR, draws premier teams wanting to test their skill on a technically challenging trail.
Celebrate the start of both races in Downtown Marquette, beginning with the Opening Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. in front of The Mining Journal on the 200 block of West Washington Street. Join Walt Lindala and Frida Waara in welcoming sponsors, representatives and spectators to the race, while the Marquette Male Chorus gives a special performance. UP200 teams will hit the trail at 7 p.m., followed by Midnight Run teams at 8 p.m. The race route is set on Washington Street, heading east along Lakeshore Boulevard.
Warm Up Downtown
In addition to all of the restaurants and businesses in Marquette’s Downtown District that will be gearing up for the UP200 spectators, several businesses and organizations in Marquette’s Downtown District will be hosting warm up parties between and during the dog sled races, all of which are open to the public.
- Marquette DDA at the Marquette Commons, 112 S. Third St., 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Warm up by the fire and enjoy the soothing sounds of Jim and Ray. Complimentary restrooms
- Eagle Mine Information Center, 153A W. Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Bring your family along and enjoy hot cocoa and snacks
- Donckers, 137 W. Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- $5 Special: grilled cheese and hot chocolate. Front room overlooking Washington St. will have viewing space to watch the races
- HOTplate Pottery and Art Studio, 153C W. Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Warm up party and live music from Strung Together
- Iron Bay Restaurant & Drinkery, 105 E. Washington St., 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Watch the UP200 from their heated patio, drink specials
- Michigan Fair, 114 W. Washington St., 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Enjoy complimentary hot cider and cookies. Free bathrooms
- The Nature Conservancy, 101 S. Washington St., Suite 105, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Join The Nature Conservancy at their open house during the dog sled races
- NMU Warm-Up Tent, W. Washington St. next to Old City Hall, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Superior Hospitality will be providing complimentary cookies and hot cocoa
- U.P. Supply Company with Velodrome Coffee Company, 221 W. Washington St., 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Enjoy coffee from Velodrome Coffee Company
- Ore Dock Brewing Company, 114 W. Spring St., 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Midnight Run Meltdown featuring Fauxgrass (Bluegrass) & Sonic Perfume (Jazz). Keeweenaw Coffee Works on site from 6-8pm featuring hot cocoa and locally roasted coffee. Free entry, all ages until 9 p.m.
- Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum, 123 W. Baraga Ave, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Yoop-Phoria, 156 W. Washington St., 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Warm up with a hot crepe and hot chocolate or coffee for $5.00