We are pleased to share that the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) has announced the Match on Main – COVID-19 Response Program, which provides the Marquette DDA the opportunity to apply for up to $50,000 in grant funds to assist small businesses in Downtown Marquette!
Match on Main COVID-19 Response Program:
The Match on Main COVID-19 Response Program temporarily expands the MEDC’s Match on Main Program and will provide up to $50,000 to local downtown management organizations to administer to eligible small businesses located in traditional downtowns, neighborhood and commercial districts, or areas planned and zoned for concentrated commercial development.
This program serves as a tool for local units of government, downtown development authorities, or other downtown management organizations that desire to support place-based businesses located in their traditional commercial districts by providing grant funding to eligible businesses in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The local unit of government, downtown development authority, Main Street organization or other economic development organization that represents the downtown is eligible to apply for up to $50,000.The minimum contribution that is able to be administered to any one business must be at least $2,000, with a maximum of $10,000. The applicant will determine which businesses are selected for inclusion in the application for support and at what desired grant amounts.
- The business was affected by the COVID-19 outbreak
- The business is for-profit and headquartered in Michigan
- The business has 25 employees or less
- The business sells products or services face to face within a traditional downtown, neighborhood or commercial district, or area planned and zoned for concentrated development
- The business has not received or been approved to receive MSF Small Business Relief Program funding or an MEDC Match on Main grant within the last 24 months
- Low-to-Moderate Income Owner *MEDC Preference, not required
- Businesses located in strip malls
- “Big Box” retailers
- Marijuana related businesses
- Businesses who have been approved to receive support from the Michigan Strategic Fund’s Small Business Relief Program or an MEDC Match on Main Grant within the last 24 months
Eligible Uses of Grant Funds:
Grant funds may be used by the business for working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses, COVID-19 relief or recovery expenses or other ordinary business expenses.
Help us help you!
Step 1: Interested businesses shall first download the Local Business Worksheet to their computer or laptop, complete and save the application, then submit it to the MDDA no later than Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Due to the tight application deadline, worksheets received after that time will not be considered.
Step 2: The MDDA will evaluate the worksheets using a scoring matrix to determine which businesses will be included in the overall application to the MEDC. Please note: submitting a business application does not guarantee inclusion in the MDDA’s grant application.
Step 3: The MDDA will submit a grant application for review and consideration by the MEDC by Friday, May 29, 2020. Awardees will be announced by the MEDC on or about Wednesday, June 10, 2020.
Learn more about the program here: https://www.miplace.org/match-on-main.
This is a valuable opportunity to apply for financial assistance for your downtown business, so act quickly. Feel free to contact me at Becky@downtownmarquette.org or 228-9475 if you have any questions. Great things can happen when we work together!