Event Date: Friday, December 1, 2017
Location: Third Street/Marquette Commons
Time: Parade starts at 6:00 p.m.; Tree Lighting to follow.
Celebrate the magic of the holiday season at the 7th Annual ‘Winter Snow Fun’ Holiday Parade and 42nd Annual City of Marquette Tree Lighting. Bundle up with friends and family as illuminated floats, tinsel-strewn trucks and colorful carolers transform Third Street into a magical scene from the North Pole. After the parade, spectators are welcomed to the Marquette Commons where Santa Claus and friends will light up Downtown at the annual City of Marquette Tree Lighting. Festivities include a performance by the Marquette Senior High School Redmen Chorale, pony rides, hot chocolate and photos with Santa Claus. The Marquette Post Office staff lends a helping hand to Santa’s elves by collecting children’s letters to Santa along the Holiday Parade route.
The parade begins at the corner of North Third Street and Fair Avenue and ends at the Marquette Commons (112 South Third Street). After the parade, spectators are welcomed to the Marquette Commons where Santa Claus and friends will light up Downtown at the 42nd Annual City of Marquette Tree Lighting. Visits with Santa to follow.
The Marquette Downtown Development Authority invites you to become a part of the magic by entering a decorated float, vehicle or marching unit with your business, organization or group. In the spirit of giving, there is no fee to participate, equating to free advertising for your business or organization to more than 1,000 spectators of all ages.
The deadline to register is Friday, November 24.
Click the button above to register your parade entry or download the Holiday Parade Packet 2017 (PDF) and submit the completed application to Tara@downtownmarquette.org, mail to the Marquette DDA (203 S. Front St., Suite 1-B, Marquette, MI 49855) or fax to (906) 228-6288.
Parade Participant Rules & Regulations
Please pass this information on to everyone in your unit. It is the responsibility of each organization to ensure that their participants are informed of the rules, route and line-up information.
- All entries must check-in with the Holiday Parade Committee between 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. at the Lot 56 behind the Superior Dome at Northern Michigan University. The parade will leave the lot at 5:45 p.m. and travel south down Third Street. Upon checking in with the Parade Committee, you will receive a staging map identifying your space in the parade line-up. Only vehicles registered to participate in the parade may enter the line-up area.
- Units must be decorated in holiday decor. Any type of material may be used during construction. All entries must be constructed so spectators on both sides of the street can view them. This includes decorations and trim.
- When constructing units, be prepared for any weather condition that may exist during preparation and the parade itself. Hand warmers are strongly encouraged.
- Vehicles and trailers must be inspected to make sure there are no mechanical problems before the parade begins.
- Upon inspection of the unit, the Holiday Parade Chair has the authority to limit the number of passengers who can safely ride on the float.
- No float and/or vehicle may be left unattended at any time while waiting for the parade to start.
- Children may not be left unattended at any time throughout the event.
- Participants on vehicles MAY NOT THROW candy to people along the parade route. Candy must be handed out to the crowd. This safety regulation protects spectators from potential injuries.
- Unregistered entries will not be allowed to participate in the parade.
- All entries are encouraged to carry or display an identification banner in front of their float, vehicle or marching unit.
- Applicants assume all responsibility for any loss or damage in connection with their entry at the Holiday Parade.
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to disallow inappropriate entries.
- The Parade Committee in conjunction with the Marquette Police Department reserves the right to cancel the parade for any reason – including inclement weather. Please check the Marquette Downtown Development Authority website for any announcements on parade day.
- Once submitted, consider your application accepted unless you receive further notification from the Parade Committee.
- Remember, there is only one Santa Claus. Imitators are strictly prohibited.
Parade Wish List
Volunteers are needed the day of the parade to assist with line-up, traffic and crowd control. Please contact the DDA at (906) 228-9475 or Tara@downtownmarquette.org to express your interest in helping out.
Tinsel, Tags & Other Tips for Trappings
Too many sugar plums addled your brain? Tried and true inspirations for your holiday masterpiece: Santa’s workshop (elves & all); winter sports; wreaths; boughs; decorated trees; poinsettias; bells; sleds; snowmen; toboggans; tinsel; presents; gift wrap; big red bows; inflatable yard ornaments; snowshoes; holiday classics (The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol);
reindeer; North Pole